Dear depression, why do you even exist in the budding medicos?
It is a matter of fact that the high demands and pressure of medical school and pre-residency entrance tests pose a tremendous challenge to the personal wellbeing for the physicians in training which leads to high rates of anxiety, burnout, decreased attention, increased incidence of errors, negligence and depression.
2. Khan R, Lin JS, Mata DA. Addressing depression and suicide among physician trainees. JAMA psychiatry. 2015 Aug 1;72(8):848.
3. O’Rourke M, Hammond S, O’Flynn S, Boylan G. The medical student stress profile: A tool for stress audit in medical training. Medical education. 2010 Oct 1;44(10):1027-37.
4. Puthran R, Zhang MW, Tam WW, Ho RC. Prevalence of depression amongst medical students: a meta‐analysis. Medical education. 2016 Apr 1;50(4):456-68.
5. Iqbal S, Gupta S, Venkatarao E. Stress, anxiety & depression among medical undergraduate students & their socio-demographic correlates. The Indian journal of medical research. 2015 Mar;141(3):354.
6. Kamiar RK. Depression and Quality of Life in German Medical Students At Foreign Universities. RSU International Conference Health and Social Science: 168. Available from: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/298419251_Quality_of_Life_and_Depression_in_German_Medical_Students_at_Foreign_Universities. Accessed on January 1, 2017.
7. Schwenk TL, Davis L, Wimsatt LA. Depression, stigma, and suicidal ideation in medical students. JAMA. 2010;304:1181–90.
8. Spitzer RL, Williams JBW, Kroenke K, Linzer M, deGruy FV, Hahn SR, Brody D, JohnsonJG. Utility of a new procedure for diagnosing mental disorders in primary care: ThePRIME-MD 1000 study. JAMA 1994;272:1749-1756.
9. Langade D, Modi PD, Sidhwa YF, Hishikar NA, Gharpure AS, Wankhade K, Langade J, Joshi K. Burnout Syndrome Among Medical Practitioners Across India: A Questionnaire-Based Survey. Cureus. 2016 Sep;8(9):e771.
10. Mehta V. Should Research be Made Compulsory in Medical School?. Journal of Medical Research and Innovation. 2017 Jan 3;1(1):1-3.
11. Mehta V, Chugh C, Pervez A. Why should you do Research?. Journal of Medical Research and Innovation. 2017 Jan 30;1(1):17.
12. Brennan J, McGrady A, Lynch DJ, Whearty K. Stress management intervention for first year medical students. Annals of Behavioral Science and Medical Education. 2010 Sep 1;16(2):15-9.
13. Barikani A. Stress in medical students. Journal of medical education. 2009 Aug 5;11(1, 2).
Comments & Peer Review
Volume & Issue : Vol 1 No 1 (2017)
Page No.: 40-41
How to Cite
Copyrights & License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
*So either this article was published before 8th October, 2017 or this is a non-peer reviewed article.
- HTML viewed - 1809 times
- PDF downloaded - 880 times