Povidone iodine hookah therapy for the treatment of COVID-19 and other respiratory virus: A hypothesis we must test
Povidone – Iodine has been known to have strong bactericidal and virucidal properties for a long time. It has been in clinical use as an antiseptic agent for over fifty years. Now a new indication for this old drug is recommended as Hookah therapy. It is hypothesized that in this form it will be an effective therapeutic agent to kill the coronavirus (SARS-COV2) or significantly inhibit its multiplication to achieve a cure. Details of treatment and dosage form are presented.
- Maren Eggers, Markus Eickmann, Juergen Zorn. Rapid and Effective Virucidal Activity of Povidone-Iodine Products Against Middle East Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus (MERS-CoV) and Modified Vaccinia Virus Ankara (MVA). Infect Dis Ther. 2015 Dec; 4(4): 491–501.
- Leila J. Mady, Mark W. Kubik, Khalil Baddour, Carl H. Snyderman, Nicholas R. Rowan. Consideration of povidone-iodine as a public health intervention for COVID-19: Utilization as “Personal Protective Equipment” for frontline providers exposed in high-risk head and neck and skull base oncology care. Oral Oncol. 2020 Jun; 105: 104724.
- Carmen Aceves, Brenda Anguiano, Guadalupe Delgado. The Extrathyronine Actions of Iodine as Antioxidant, Apoptotic, and Differentiation Factor in Various Tissues. Thyroid. 2013 Aug; 23(8): 938–946. doi: 10.1089/thy.2012.0579.
- R. F. Dyck, R. A. Bear, M. B. Goldstein, M. L. Halperin. Iodine/iodide toxic reaction: case report with emphasis on the nature of the metabolic acidosis. Can Med Assoc J. 1979 Mar 17; 120(6): 704–706.
- Francine Dela Cruz, Deborah Harper Brown, Jerrold B. Leikin, Cory Franklin, Daniel O Maren Eggers, Markus Eickmann, Juergen Zorn. Iodine Absorption After Topical Administration. Infect Dis Ther. 2015 Dec; 4(4): 491–501. Published online 2015 Sep 28. doi: 10.1007/s40121-015-0091-9.
- Oliver E. Byrd, Harold M. Malkin, George B. Reed, Hal W. Wilson. Safety of iodine as a disinfectant in swimming pools. Public Health Rep. 1963 May; 78(5): 393–397.
- Kristin L. Aillon, Nashwa El-Gendy, Jeffery P. Norenberg, Jacob McDonald, Connor Dennis, Cory Berkland. Iodinated NanoClusters as an inhaled CT contrast agent for lung visualization. Mol Pharm. 2010 Aug 2; 7(4): 1274–1282. doi: 10.1021/mp1000718
- Nongluk Sriwilaijaroen, Prapon Wilairat, Hiroaki Hiramatsu, Tadanobu Takahashi, Takashi Suzuki, Morihiro Ito, Yasuhiko Ito, Masato Tashiro, Yasuo Suzuki. Mechanisms of the action of povidone-iodine against human and avian influenza A viruses: its effects on hemagglutination and sialidase activities. Virol J. 2009; 6: 124. Published online 2009 Aug 13. doi: 10.1186/1743-422X-6-124
- Hiroaki Kariwa, Nobuhiro Fujii, Ikuo Takashima. Inactivation of SARS Coronavirus by Means of Povidone-Iodine, Physical Conditions and Chemical Reagents. Dermatology. 2006 Feb; 212(Suppl 1): 119–123.
- J. Kanagalingam, R. Feliciano, J. H. Hah, H. Labib, T. A. Le, J.‐C. Lin. Practical use of povidone‐iodine antiseptic in the maintenance of oral health and in the prevention and treatment of common oropharyngeal infections. Int J Clin Pract. 2015 Nov; 69(11): 1247–1256. doi: 10.1111/ijcp.12707.
- Goodman and Gilman’s “The Phamacological Basis of Therapeutics”, Seventh Edition, Iodophores, pp 965-966.
Comments & Peer Review
Volume & Issue : Vol 5 No 1 (2021): Article in Press
Page No.: e000258
How to Cite
Copyrights & License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.